I really don’t mind when people give me compliments. I will not accuse you of being a chauvinist pig if you tell me my dress is pretty, although if you solicit me for sex immediately afterwards, I probs will. I, like pretty much every other human being on this planet, like to feel good about myself (I can’t speak for the humans on Mars).
SIDEBAR: DO NOT CAT CALL PEOPLE THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS A COMPLIMENT
Anyways. I really don’t like it when people call me “exotic.” I just don’t. It’s weird and gross and sexual and makes me feel the way the word “moist” sounds. That is, weird, gross, and sexual(ized).
Top Ten Reasons NOT to Call Me Exotic
1) Things that people call exotic: Snakes. And Orchids. And the Masala Chai mix you picked up at Trader Joes. If you call me exotic you are putting me in the same category as snakes and orchids and the Trader Joe’s ethnic foods aisle. If you put me into that category you are basically asking for me to put a poisonous snake into your Masala Chai mix and send an orchid to your funeral. Basically.
2) The other thing that people call exotic: HOOKERS.
3) Please tell me the last context in which you heard a woman being described as exotic in which the woman being described was not a) an Exotic Asian masseur b) an Exotic Middle Eastern belly dancer c) an Exotic Spanish porn star d) an exotic dancer e) a mail order bride.
4) Exotic literally means “not native; introduced from abroad.” If you call me exotic, you are saying that I don’t look like I belong here. This is a dumb word to use in America because 98.8% of the population was introduced from abroad, so when you call me exotic you’re actually saying that I’m conformist. BAM
5) A continuation of the theme from #2 and #3. Because exotic is a word associated with hookers and sexy dancing, when you call me exotic it makes me feel like you want to have sex with me, which is not necessarily a terrible thing, because people are allowed to have sex with other people, but it is weird when old ladies in the produce aisle are making me feel like a sex object. Or like, my friends’ dads. Or like, anyone.
6) If you are approaching me in a dating/sexual context and call me exotic I will assume you have an Asian/half-Asian fetish. I realize that this is not fair. Sorry.
7) Synonyms listed for exotic include bizarro, fantastic, glamorous, outlandish, romantic, and strange. These are words you would use to the experience of watching the Johnny Depp remake of Willy Wonka and Chocolate Factory. Why would you ever want to make me think about that?
8) Exotic doesn’t mean pretty. Exotic means pretty and not white, which means that…
9) Calling me exotic says more about you than it does about me. And what it says (because after you’ve called me exotic I’m an it) is…
10) I will never sleep with you.